Medium Brown Henna is the perfect color for people looking to enhance their natural shade of brown while adding shine and warmth to their hair color. Using a specific ratio of the henna (Lawsonia inermis) and indigo (Indigofera tinctoria), MM offers the finest in chemical-free hair color.
Morrocco Method Henna is 100% chemical free and contains no harsh metals, parabens, or toxins that irritate the hair and scalp. No matter the color of henna, it is deeply nourishing, conditioning and the perfect alternative to harsh chemical hair dyes.
How to Mix & Apply Brown Henna
1. Mixing Bowls (wooden or glass preferable).
2. Mixing Spoon (wooden preferable)
3. Measuring Spoon/Cup
4. Gloves (vinyl/rubber)
5. Plastic Wrap -OR- Plastic Shower Cap
6. OPTIONAL: Fabric Cap (beanie, ski cap, etc.)
1. Black Tea, 2 cups strongly brewed and cooled
2. Apple Cider Vinegar, up to 3 tbsp (use raw, unpasteurized for best results) -OR- Freshly
Squeezed Lemon Juice, up to 3 tbsp.
3. Brown Henna Kit (1 bag of Henna, 1 bag of Indigo)*
4. Warm Filtered water, 1 cup
5. OPTIONAL: Euro Oil, 1-3 teaspoons
6. OPTIONAL: Clove, Ginger, or Cinnamon, powdered 1-3 teaspoons (To lessen the smell of
7. OPTIONAL: Pinch of sea salt (To Deepen Brown Tones)
8. OPTIONAL: Amla Powder (To prevent Indigo from fading. If used, do not use Black Tea,
Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice.)
Black Tea with Apple Cider Vinegar/Lemon Juice is the most common liquid used
when mixing henna. However, you may replace this liquid entirely with:
1. Apple or orange juice, 2 cups
2. Herbal tea (chamomile, rosemary, etc.), 2 cups strongly brewed and cooled
3. Filtered Water, 2 cups warmed (with or without lemon juice)
4. Amla Powder
Mixing & Application
1. Pour bag labeled LT/MD/DK Brown Henna into mixing bowl. Add clove, ginger, or
cinnamon at this point to lessen smell of henna. Add apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
The more you use of either ingredient, the deeper the end results will be. However, it will
also increase the time needed to release the dye and may have a drying effect.
2. Slowly add black tea to Henna until it is the consistency of yogurt. The mixture should
not drip from the spoon but should still be easily spreadable. (You may not need all 2
cups of tea to achieve this.)
3. Add Euro Oil to mixture. Use more Euro Oil if you added a lot of apple cider vinegar or
lemon juice. Do not use more than 3 teaspoons, as the oil can prevent the color from
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 8-12 hours. If a generous amount of
lemon juice or apple cider vinegar were used, we suggest letting it sit the full 12 hours.
Check the surface for color change from the original color to a darker brown-red, which
will signal the dye release.
5. Once Henna has sat for the appropriate amount of time, pour bag labeled LT/MD/DK
Brown Indigo into a clean bowl and stir in enough filtered warm water to make it a
6. Mix together the Henna and Indigo mixtures. If needed, add a splash of filtered warm
water to achieve the yogurt-like consistency again. Use this mixture immediately, do not
let it sit.
7. Section your hair, put a towel around your shoulders, and apply Euro Oil to your hairline
and ears to prevent skin staining. Using gloved hands, apply Brown Henna to clean, dry
hair. (It can be applied to towel-dried hair but not wet). For visual reference, please see
our video guide on applying henna: www.morroccomethod.com/henna
8. Wrap hair with plastic wrap or put on a shower cap. Optionally, put on a fabric cap over
the plastic to trap body heat. The key is to keep the Brown henna moist and warm.
9. Leave Brown Henna in hair for 1-4 hours. The longer it is left, the more dye will saturate
into your hair. Do not leave it in overnight.
10. Unwrap your hair and rinse with water only. Use a drain catcher to prevent possible
clogging. You may use Pearl Essence Creme Rinse or a few drops of Euro Oil to aid in the
henna rinsing process. The Morrocco Method Scalp Massager may also help in removing
the Brown Henna.
11. Do not shampoo your hair until 24 hours after the henna treatment. The full color will
appear after 72 hours. This color will last 8-12 weeks.
Important Note About Chemical Dyes
Our Brown Henna Hair Color is 100% pure plant dye. There are no chemicals, metallic salts, or PPD.
Our henna hair color is the safest form of hair dye you can use, and it even has healthy benefits for
morroccomethod.com • email@example.com • copyright © 2015 MIM
your hair. You can safely use henna on previously chemically dyed hair, but we suggest waiting 6-8
weeks after your last dye job to allow for detox.
But if choose to continue with chemical dyes after applying henna, you'll need to wait 6-8 weeks
until it fades. It won't "burn" your hair, which is a reaction to chemically-adulterated henna, but it
can give you unpredictable results. Plant dyes don't lift easily out of your hair, leaving the end color
unpredictable, and it fades faster because henna makes your hair less porous.
Going lighter cannot be done with a box dye, and the amount of developer you will need to lift the
henna will damage your hair to the point where it won't take dyes well. When dying your hair with
henna and indigo, it will only lift the henna, and not the indigo, giving you green hair. The amount
of chemicals you need to remove indigo from your hair will make your hair too damaged to hold
any dye at all. You can, however, dye your hair the same color or darker.