Did you know that the health of your hair is largely affected by the foods you eat?
Many women and men around the globe are wondering what foods can best serve their crown of glory. Let’s take a quick look at some super nourishing foods that inspire healthy hair growth.
1. Sea Weed/Algaes - Raw seaweed & algae, like Dulse and Spirulina, supply the body with minerals and proteins to rebuild and grow thick, healthy hair. Seaweeds also assist in promoting blood cell production, which leads to improved circulation, an important protocol for healthy hair. Did you know that many Morrocco Method’s shampoos have seaweeds in them?
Tip: Be sure to get your seaweed and algae from a clean source.
2. Leafy Greens - Raw, organic greens alkalinize the blood and provide us with minerals and vitamins to nourish the hair shaft. Purslane is a standout in this area, as it contains an abundance of essential Omega 3 fats, as well. Look for dark leafy greens like bok choy and dandelion greens. These bitter tasting greens do wonders to detoxify the blood and promote healthy hair.
3. Organic/Wildcrafted Herbal Teas - Teas help mineralize the body. Nettle tea, in particular, is a star player when it comes to hair health. It is brimming with healthy hair nutrition, such as vitamins A, C, K, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and chlorophyll. Try some flower teas, like chrysanthemum, rose or chamomile tea, to add extra beauty to the hair. You are what you eat, so why not eat beautiful things!
Tip: Create nourishing sun teas to rinse the hair with for added shine and luster.
4. Essential Fatty Acids - If hair is to look its best, it must be fed from the inside out with undamaged fats. These come in the form of nature's perfect gifts to us--coconuts, avocados, purslane, raw grass-fed cultured butter and (one of my favorites) raw OG pumpkin seed oil! Any of the above will nourish your hair from the inside. To fortify the outside of your hair, apply Euro Oil or any of MM’s conditioners to saturate the scalp with these essential fatty acids.
Tip: Do your best to keep healthy fats in their raw, natural state. Consuming at least a tablespoon a day of good fats will ensure the body has the best nutrients to repair itself with.
5. Aloe - Aloe is a superfood in a class of its own! It’s rich in polysaccharides that strengthen the hair and skin. If grown properly and kept raw and pure, aloe is loaded with minerals like silica, which are crucial for thriving hair! Aloe is a crucial ingredient in all MM’s shampoos to ensure that your hair grows long and healthy.
Tip: Add aloe to your smoothies to thicken them and enhance the nutritional value.
Bonus: Smoothie Recipe for Healthy Hair
“Paleo and Raw Vegan Friendly”
1/4 cup dulse or other sea veggie of choice
1 inch of aloe fillet, skin peeled off if you prefer
1/4 cup berries of choice (raspberries are my favorite)
1/2 a ripe reed avocado
Handful of Fresh Nettles or Green of choice
1 cup of spring water or make a nettle tea steeped in cold springwater for 6 hours in the sunlight.
2 stalks organic celery
1- 3 tsp. Spirulina Powder
Optional: Top with Fresh Bee Pollen. And, if you like it sweeter, add Stevia to taste.
Blend on a high in a vitamix blender or something similar, with intentions for your healthy hair at heart as you sip your smoothie!