How To Lighten Hair Naturally
I love my naturally blonde hair, but I’m always looking for new way to lighten hair naturally. As summer heats up you might find yourself hoping for a lighter look. While MM Marigold Henna is the perfect treat for bringing out natural highlights every 6-8 weeks, I use this rinse to keep my naturally blonde hair looking great between applications.
You Will Need:
- 1 single serving plain yogurt*
1 spoonful of organic, extra Virgin coconut oil*
- 2 or so big handfuls of dried chamomile flowers (call the health store and ask, you want the flowers, not just a tea bag)
- 1/2 to 1 lemon*
How to Lighten Hair Naturally:
- Bring water to a boil, then turn down (or off!) and add chamomile flowers. Steep for 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally. You don’t want the flowers to burn, you just want them to release the dye.
- Strain into a glass bowl. It should look very yellow!
- Add coconut oil, yogurt, and lemon to chamomile liquid. You want to add 1/2 a lemon to a full lemon depending on how damaged your hair is. The more damaged it is the less lemon you’ll want to apply. Although lemon has great lightening qualities, it is extremely acidic. Mix—it’s alright if there are still some chunks that haven’t dissolved.
- Place a large bowl in the sink to catch the liquid from the rinse. Put your head over the bowl and pour the mixture–try to get all of your hair wet. Repeat 15-25 times. If the bowl is deep enough, let your hair soak in the mixture. Enjoy some time upside-down!
- Then go outside and sit in the sun to activate the release. I sat there until my hair was almost dry and very crunchy (a half hour?). The time you sit depends on the heat of the sun and how quickly it is drying—make sure you don’t break your hair.
- Washed as normal and follow with a healthy amount of conditioner!