Dangerous Chemicals in Baby Care Products
Considering that a baby’s skin is 4 times more sensitive than that of an adult, it is astonishing to see the high levels of toxic chemicals children are exposed to every day. According to an Environmental Working Group study:
- 82% of children are exposed every week to one or more ingredients with the potential to harm their brain and nervous system.
- 69% of children are exposed every week to one or more ingredients that may be endocrine disruptors.
- 36% of children are exposed to ingredients with strong data linking them to cancer.
- 80% of children’s products marked as “gentle” and “non-irritating” contain ingredients that are linked to allergies and skin or eye irritation.
Out of these chemicals, the most prominent culprits are:
- Quaternium 15: It releases formaldehyde; a skin, eye and respiratory irritant, and a known carcinogen (formaldehyde exposure has been associated with leukemia).
- 1,4 Dioxane: A likely-carcinogen present in Baby Shampoo, Oatmeal Baby Wash, Moisture Care Baby Wash and Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash. This chemical has been proven to be toxic to the brain, central nervous system, kidneys and liver.
Not all hope is lost, however, because thanks to Morrocco Method there is now a 100% raw and paleo baby line that includes essential baby care products and shampoos, such as our Sea Essence Baby Shampoo and Heavenly Essence Baby Shampoo, which are made with organic, wildcrafted ingredients that gently cleanse baby’s hair and soothe baby’s skin when used as body wash.
Besides finding the aforementioned chemicals in shampoos, other baby essentials such as baby powder, baby oil and detangling sprays have to be analyzed as well, since most of the times, these will include preservatives, thickening agents, artificial colors and fragrances. For instance, baby powder’s worst offender is talc and triclosan. These have been scientifically proven to be carcinogens and still, most commercial baby powders include them. For a safer baby powder option, you can choose our Zen Baby Powder, which naturally absorbs excess moisture and prevents diaper rash.
When it comes to baby oils, companies advertise them as “perfect for dry skin” and are even infused with “Vitamins A & E”. However, regular baby oil is made with mineral oil mixed with fragrance. It’s a cheap by-product of petroleum processing and acts as a plastic wrap on baby’s skin, inhibiting the skin to release toxins. For a non-toxic option, user our Sun Essence Baby Oil, which carefully soothes baby’s skin, leaving is feeling soft and healthy.
Lastly, there are some products out there that help with a child’s unruly and tangled hair. Nevertheless, most of them contain polyethylene glycol (PEG) a 1,4 dioxane by-product and known carcinogen. This substance can strip your child’s hair of its natural moisture, making it more prone to tangles in the future. Instead, try our Miracle Detangler, which will help detangle your child’s hair, while adding moisture back to their strands, preventing future tangles.