October is Non-GMO Month: Top Five Ways to Avoid GMOs
I’m talking about GMOs, crops that have been genetically modified. Common GMOs crops are items like corn or soy. Groups like Say No to GMOs and the Non-GMO Project have already begun to spread the word about the harmful effects of GMOs
You have a right to know what ingredients are in the products your buy, so here are some tips to help you avoid using products that may contain these harmful GMOs.
1. Check if Your Product is Non-GMO verifiedGroups such as the Non-GMO Project have posted lists of products and ingredients that are GMO free. See if the products you buy are on lists like these.
2. Beware of Hidden GMOs- Many products contain GMOs without clearly listing them.Corn and corn-by products are actually used in a large number of products. Some examples of ingredients corn hides in are Decly Glucoside and Lauryl Glucoside. For a complete list check out Live Corn Free.com
3. Ask the CompanyYou have a right to know what’s in your product. Contact the company who produces a product and ask them to confirm their product has no corn or soy as well as corn or soy byproducts. If a company won’t tell you, demand it! Legally they can’t keep this information from you.
4. Get InformedResources like The Union of Concerned Scientists provide detailed lists of genetically modified foods allowed on the market. Find out what products could be genetically modified and avoid them accordingly.
5. Take ActionOctober is Non-GMO month! Groups like Say No to GMO’s and Non-GMO Project have started campaigns demanding that GMO products are labeled. Find out how you can get involved.
Also if you are a local Californian be sure to check out Vote Yes on 37 the lasted act of legislation to try and label GMO’s.
Basically, transparency is key! Here at Morrocco Method we support the Non-GMO movement and make sure all our products are GMO free! As an informed consumer exercise your right to know what’s in your products!